Re: Adding more space to server

From: Yechiel Adar <adar76_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 01:13:48 -0800

Adding more space to serverIs the server dedicated to Oracle data files or you have more data in it. We have for each server a lot of data that was loaded in the database + a daily export.

I saved a lot of space by compressing the folders for the data and the export.

Yechiel Adar
Mehish

  Hi all,
  We are running out of space on our server and I was going to add another hard disk to it. I had thought about somewhat crude but easy way to go about it. Since I can afford to shutdown my database for a couple of hours tomorrow, I thought that I would shutdown the database, move some datafiles to other partitions, redefine the partitions as to increase their size (WinNT 4 and Oracle 8i) and then move back the datafiles and then start the database. This way I would have more space to accommodate any increase in size of the datafiles and not worry about changing any of the database complexities (plus more space for the archives generated, as the database is in archive mode). Neither the control file nor any of the parameters would have to be changed as no change in location took place. Is there anything wrong in this method? What could be the other options, if any? Anything else that I need to keep in mind?

  Thanks and regards,

  Hussain Ahmed Qadri
  DBA
  SKMCH&RC

Author: Yechiel Adar
  INET: adar76_at_inter.net.il

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Nov 11 2002 - 03:13:48 CST