Re: OT- Improving server performance

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 02:43:21 -0800

> Hussain Ahmed Qadri wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Would moving the temporary tablespace, rollback tablespace and Archive
> files location to a hard drive other than the hard drive which
> contains the datafiles, improve performance of the server?
>
> Index and Datafiles are already placed on different hard drives. So
> was wondering if I move these to different controllers as well, will
> that be of any help in performance upgrade?
>
> What is the best combination?
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Hussain

Hussain,

    As has already been discussed on this list, what improves performance is not moving such or such thing elsewhere - it's spreading I/Os. What is usually advised (typically, having a dedicated drive for log files or such things) are general guidelines. What you aim for is not having one drive working like mad while all others are idle, which would be a poor allocation of resources. Start with OS monitoring to determine how much is written to each disk per unit of time. Then check V$LOG, V$LOG_HISTORY and V$SYSSTAT to gather information about how much redo log files (and their archiving) contributes to this. Then check V$FILESTAT for data, index, rollback and temporary tablespaces. Once you have a good idea of where I/Os come from, it's like a Tetris game.

And you are perfectly right about controllers, there is no real point in having many disks if a single controller is a bottleneck.

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Software