Re: Need Help on Operational Data Store

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 15:34:03 -0800

Dennis,

I've always characterized the ODS as having a data model that is only "lightly transformed" from it's source operational systems, while a data warehouse and the downstream data marts have a query-optimized star schema data model. By saying "lightly transformed", I'm referring to the fact that data "transformation" doesn't refer only to summarization, but also to standardization/consolidation and cleansing. Performing the standardization and cleansing parts of "transformation" on the way into the ODS enables some terrific functionality, which might fall into the following categories:   a.. mid-way "staging" area for data flowing from operational systems into the data warehouse and on to the data marts     This is probably the way that most people think of the ODS. Depending on the complexity of transformation, it may or may not be a valid purpose. Some simpler transformations can (and should!) be performed "on the fly" straight into the star-schema data model of the data warehouse, but for complex multi-step transformations and integration/merge of data from many sources, where synchronization, failures, and restarts are the norm, a staging area for this complex processing is crucial.   a.. offloaded "tactical" reporting from operational systems     This is another valid purpose for an ODS -- whether as a simple "reporting database copy" or something more sophisticated. Sometimes, if this is the only requirement, it can be as simple as a standby database that has been opened READ ONLY and used for offloading reporting or even a periodic EXP/IMP or the like. However, such simple replication processes usually preclude the other usage categories described in this email.

    This is very useful when the operational system is "legacy" and additional development is not possible or cost-effective, yet new reporting requirements still exist and continue to proliferate. Instead of re-hiring old RPG programmers, use the ODS to enable new reports using Crystal, Oracle Reports, or even good ol' SQL*Plus...   a.. consolidated-view "tactical" reporting (if there are many disparate source operational systems)     This is a slight variation on the purpose mentioned above. I experienced it for the first time at a company which was growing rapidly via acquisition (way back in the hazy, crazy 90s). We spent a great deal of time working on the data modeling to ensure that we accurately defined and mapped data entities from the disparate source operational systems and merged them into a consolidate enterprise data model. The result was a consolidated database of operational data that could be used for consolidated-view reporting, relieving much of management's pressure to consolidate operational systems. An additional side-benefit was that all the mapping work between data models were later used on conversion projects to truly consolidate the disparate source operational systems...   a.. "data-archival" point for operational systems     I worked one project where the source operational systems were all factory-floor controllers (micro-vaxen) and there was a legal requirement to save that information for a very long time (20 years). There was also a desire to analyze and mine that data. The solution to both requirements was an ODS where the data was archived to optical storage mounted on an HSM file-system. Rather than archive from hundreds of factory-floor machines, we killed two requirements with one stone...

    Mixing this solution with the previous one ("consolidated-view tactical reporting") is something I've not experienced, but it seems like another interesting purpose. Never mind "legacy" applications, there aren't many "modern" ERP or CRM systems that adequately handle data archival/retrieval; only "purge" at best. An ODS is an elegant solution for these requirements... There might be more uses for ODS, but I've found it useful to maintain these possible solutions in mind. I would at least consider whether business requirements fall into any of these categories, because an ODS (not a DW, not another "operational system", not a simple "reporting database copy") is a better solution for all of them...

Hope this helps...

-Tim

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com