RE: Oracle 10i

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 13:14:21 -0800

It's not just the new releases, but the withdrawal of support for "old" releases which is the problem. Look at the 9.0.2 vs. 9.0.1. Oracle had announced the end of 9.0.1 support before they had released the first patchset to 9.0.2. While I admire those folks on the hemorrhaging edge, standard practice for most sites has been not to move to a new version until at least the first patchset. Yes 9.0.2 fixed many bugs in 9.0.1, but those bugs were also fixed in patchsets. Also any bugs found in 9.0.1 after the 9.0.2 code was frozen make have been fixed in a patchset for 9.0.1, but still present in 9.0.2.

The other problem is those of us who have to maintain 24 X 7 databases. We have some which collect metadata on physics experiments. Even when the accelerator is not working these databases are being hit hard by data analysts. This year I had a 4 hour window to upgrade one system. Even then I just upgraded it form 8.1.6 to 8.1.7.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.edu

Author: Gogala, Mladen
  INET: MGogala_at_oxhp.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: Freeman, Robert
  INET: Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com

Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
  INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU