RE: Changing column format

From: Donahue, Adam <adam.donahue_at_hcmny.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 14:24:44 -0800

I believe "username" here would be a unique identifier. In most systems, username must be unique (at least within a particular domain). If yours is a single domain system, David, then having two Jim Joneses would not be the problem.

There is another, more database-specific reason not to use the username field as the primary key: username (I assume) has semantic meaning, andm further, I assume, could change. For example, let's assume my username is "adonahue". Later I get a promotion and I want a vanity username of "adam". Let's also assume your database consists of several tables, many of which reference the user table by username.

In this case, updating the username will require updating ALL rows in all tables to reflect the new name. (That is, the data structure becomes denormalized if username is the primary key.) If you use userid, you can simply update the user table referenced by the corresponding userid, and no further changes would be required in child tables.

Jerry's suggestion is best: userid as the primary (surrogate) key, and a non-null unique constraint on username to prevent duplicate names within the same system.

Adam

Author: Donahue, Adam
  INET: adam.donahue_at_hcmny.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Nov 07 2002 - 16:24:44 CST