Re: blast from the past

From: Paul Baumgartel <treegarden_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 16:28:26 -0800

I had mostly forgotten about the bus architecture wars. The S-100 bus was another one that was very popular for a time. Every bus architecture had its manufacturing proponents, development systems, development environments. That was when computer magazines like BYTE were at their fattest--there was just so much to cover.

In about 1984 I convinced an employer to purchase a Modula-2 compiler for the PDP-11 running RSX-11M+. The vendor was Brown Boveri and Co. (now part of ABB) in Switzerland. I remember how excited I was that the package had cleared Customs, and a few days later, I had the large reel-to-reel tapes in my hand. As I recall, the project never got off the ground, to my chagrin. Imagine allowing a single developer to choose a language that way now!

Paul Baumgartel

Do you Yahoo!?
U2 on LAUNCH - Exclusive greatest hits videos http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
Author: Paul Baumgartel