RE: Convert TEMP tablespace from datafiles to tempfiles

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 09:59:03 -0800

Rich,

I have a better set of steps for you:

1).  Create a new tablespace (TEMPLMT) and make it a LMT.
2).  One by one, issue ALTER USER {username} TEMPORARY TABLESPACE TEMPLMT;
3).  Bounce the database
4).  DROP TABLESPACE TEMP INCLUDING CONTENTS;
5).  Backup the database
6).  Let users at it.
7).  Go have a beer.

The only "negative" here is that your TEMP tablespace is called TEMPLMT, but it just doesn't matter. If you want, you can do it again, this time creating the tablespace as TEMP if it makes you feel better.

Your method would work just fine. Not sure if the users would lose the designation of their TEMPORARY TABLESPACE, but if they do, you can easily create a script to set their temp tablespace to TEMP again.

Hope this helps.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Nov 06 2002 - 11:59:03 CST