RE: suggestion w/c platforms to choose from...

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 07:56:11 -0800

Grace - Amen to Yechiel's first rule. At the VERY least, warn your management that they need to consider a second system for the datamart. This way, if it works terribly, you don't look dumb.

   My experience is mainly Unix, so 200 OLTP users on an NT box sounds iffy from a throughput point of view. I would tend to go with a small 4-CPU Solaris server, especially if this is a critical application. From what I've heard, and I will defer to list members that have more experience here, 200 ERP users are near the upper limit of Windows-based systems, and if you ended up undersizing the system or you add users faster than expected, you might run out of headroom. A lot would depend on what your site's experience base is. If you are used to maintaining high-availability NT systems, then that might work well for you.

   If you care to mention which ERP system you will be using for the order taking, PO, HR, GL, etc., you may garner advice specific to that system. Many of us support ERP systems of different stripes and it is possible that different ERP systems behave better on some platforms.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com