RE: Relation Between Oracle Sessions

From: Hussain Ahmed Qadri <hussain_at_skm.org.pk>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 01:03:42 -0800

Hi Justin,

We have our application in the form of a menu, with all the different modules written on top in the form of menus. Now with call-form property (which we use now in our application), only one form can be opened as the menu is disappeared from the top and is only made visible when that particular form is closed and this results in only one initial session. (Although by passing a parameter to call-form property of form, we can still tell Oracle to open this form in another session, other than the initial session).
But when we use the Open-form property in forms, then every form that is opened from with in the application is opened in another session. Menu is there at the top and even if one form is open, you can use the menu and open another form or module.
So in my opinion that's not a bug but an Oracle property. And it's this newly opened session (if we use the open-form property) from with in the main application, whose relation to the session of the main application I wanted to know.
You might be absolutely right that Oracle doesn't keep track of the so-called parent-child relation ship of sessions, so I wanted to know if there was any indirect method, like from some views or something that can help me track that relationship.

If there is something that is confusing, please let me know. Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Hussain Ahmed Qadri
DBA
SKMCH&RC -----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 11:03 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

At 10:08 PM 11/4/2002, you wrote:

>Whenever a form is opened, it opens an Oracle session (can be seen from
>v$session). Now when we call another form from this opened form, (call
>form property of forms), it will open another session. If we consider the
>main form as the parent form and the form called from within it as its
>child form, then, IS there a way to know, from some view or else, that
>session of this newly opened form is the child of which parent session,
>their relationship basically?

I believe the simple answer here is "no". If your application is opening multiple sessions, each session is logically independent of the other-- Oracle has no concept of "parent" or "child" sessions. I would generally take this sort of behavior to indicate a bug in your application-- generally one wants to reuse connections across multiple forms so that each form doesn't have the overhead of opening a new connection to the database.

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting

Author: Justin Cave
  INET: jcave_at_cableone.net