Re: Reporting - Casting about for ideas

From: David Davis <davisdav_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 14:05:45 -0800

Jared,

A few years ago, we went through a process of constructing a Report Request/Report Distribution system. The client could select (from within Lotus Notes) a report they wanted and fill out a template for the report allowing them to control a number of options such as fields for report, filtering, ordering etc etc etc. They could identify the output format and a distribution list. This information was posted into Oracle tables and a scheduled process would check for new requests and dispatch the appropriate report(s) for execution and then email the reports back to notes. I believe, the actual reports went to a central notes repository and links were sent to the individuals. This way a history of reports could be kept online (provided you had access).

This was all custom development using Lotus Notes and SQR (Brio's report writer) and Unix Shell scripts working under Control-M.

It was supposed to be a short term solution for reporting off PeopleSoft. We have been stuck with it for several years. Ideally, we would have liked to purchase a solution but due to constraints at the time we could not acquire such a system.

I have looked at both Business Objects and Information Builders (WebFocus) in the last 12 months. They have tools for not only constructing reports, but storage (history), scheduling and distribution of reports via a Web environment in multiple output formats. We were interested in the WebFocus product because the had special support for PeopleSoft. They might have for SAP. They are by no means the only vendors. Personally, I prefer to buy/implement then to build/support a custom solution.

In any event. I wish you luck.

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access! http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp
Author: David Davis
  INET: davisdav_at_hotmail.com