RE: Re Raid 5+

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:48:28 -0800

I cannot fathom Raid 5 being faster than Raid 1 tor writes. The real question is, is it fast enough for your users. We happen to have a 650 terabyte database here. Even using Raid 5 disk storage would be prohibitedly expensive. So we use a home-built hierarchal storage system and store much of the data on Redwood tape drives. Users know that requesting data from the Redwood drives will take some time. But they were told to expect that. (The database is Objectivity not Oracle, and I have nothing to do with it). The online data as opposed to the near-line data is stored in Raid 5 arrays.

What I don't know is what percentage of Oracle databases can run fine on Raid 5 vs. Raid 1. It would not surprise me if the answer was well over 50%

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.edu
Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
  INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Oct 31 2002 - 18:48:28 CST