Re: RE: oracle or mssql

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:49:01 -0800

Any database engine that offers dirty-reads as an "option" is doing so because it hasn't perfected the ability to avoid them.

The dust settled on this issue over a decade ago. Check out Gray and Reuter "Transaction Processing: Concepts and Techniques" (ISBN: 1558601902 - it'll be in any college library) and read the section on the ACID properties, especially the sections on "C" for "consistency" and "I" for "isolation"...

Oracle is doing the best thing. It supplies "statement-level read-consistency" by default. The ACID properties advise "transaction-level read-consistency" and Oracle offers that option, but it is not advisable to use it unless you are using a transaction-processing monitor besides...

Thousand-to-one odds are awful. You can run across the "exception" millions of times per day. 90% of all coding is created to deal with 10% or less of the possible situations...

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com