Reporting - Casting about for ideas

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:48:58 -0800

Dear List,

First, a little background. A coworker and I have been charged with developing and implementing a 'short term' 'Reporting Solution'.

Glossary:

short term: low cast, fast to implement, throw it away late next year

Reporting Solution: Some method to make it easy for users to see oft run reports without re-running them on the production SAP ( and other apps also ) systems.

The goal of the 'Reporting Solution' is perceived performance. Only 1 or 2 of these reports have any detrimental performance impact on the servers. The goal is to allow users to view current and historic reports ( up to 90 days ) without being required to wait on reports to run on the application/database servers.

This is partly political, partly user friendly.

The political part is that we want to do *something* for users so that it looks like we're taking their requirements to heart, even though we don't have the resources to do much right now.

The user friendly part is that we want to do *something* for users so that we can make their jobs a little easier, even though we don't have the resources to do much right now.

One idea we have is to have an ABAPer ( SAP programmer ) setup the most requested reports to run in batch mode with a specified range of dates and whatever parameters are needed.

This would be done periodically, the report output put on a network filer or database or something accessible via browser ( no shared drive type solution, access is to iffy ), and a web page that would allow simple navigation to reports by Category/Date.

Click on the report, view your data.

One thing that this is *not*, is a data warehouse and/or data marts.

This is to be a low cost solution. Some software OK, a server is Ok if necessary. The key is fairly easy and quick implementation.

I'm open to any and all ideas you may have for this, experiences doing similar projects, etc. If it uses Oracle software, that's cool, if not, that's
cool too. Oracle is involved in any solution: at the very least, that's where
all our source data is stored.

Thanks for reading this long winded message.

Jared

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Oct 31 2002 - 15:48:58 CST