Re[2]: Database Design: unique PK across all tables

From: Robert Eskridge <bryny_at_dfweahs.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:03:37 -0800

Brian,

Yeah, I've encountered it in databases for real time process control systems, but those were systems where relational databases were rejected for having too much overhead in the data dictionary. The PK was actually a pointer to an absolute location (sort of like rowid but even more basic). These systems were heavy read and update but almost zero insert and delete in a production environment. Selects as known in a relational database did not exist, all information retrieval was pre-interpreted to the PK's and specific attributes of the row. These are very difficult to work with and certainly not general purpose databases. Historical reporting was often snapshots taken and moved to a general purpose database like Oracle where the whole uniform PK stuff was forgotten.

-rje

Author: Robert Eskridge
  INET: bryny_at_dfweahs.net

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Oct 31 2002 - 11:03:37 CST