RE: Snapshots - Doubt about

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 06:03:32 -0800

Eriovaldo

   As I said, Oracle now refers to snapshots as materialized views. You will need to paste the links I have provided back together.

"Oracle uses snapshots, also referred to as materialized views" http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76959/mvie w.htm#26336
<http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76959/mvi ew.htm#26336>

>From the Oracle9i SQL Reference, Create Materialized View Statement
When you create a materialized view, Oracle creates one internal table and at least one index, and may create one view, all in the schema of the materialized view.
http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/release2/server.920 /a96540/statements_63a.htm#2063795
<http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/release2/server.92 0/a96540/statements_63a.htm#2063795>

>From the Oracle9i Database Concepts Manual, Chapter 21, Data Integrity
You can place deferred unique and foreign key constraints on materialized views, allowing fast and complete refresh to complete successfully. http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/release2/server.920 /a96524/c22integ.htm#11235
<http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/release2/server.92 0/a96524/c22integ.htm#11235>

I hope this provides the clarification you seek. Even better, create a materialized view and then create an index on it to prove to yourself how this works.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com