RE: What's your opinion: ALL_ROWS vs FIRST_ROWS

From: Larry Elkins <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 02:53:24 -0800

Regarding you dd query on extents, when you use FIRST_ROWS/ALL_ROWS, cost based is used whether an object has statistics or not. And when going against un-analyzed objects like the dictionary, where rule based is preferred, your dd scripts can really suffer because they will still use cost based methods. Your inserting the RULE hint into your dd script gets you back to rule (obvious man I am). Setting to choose would do the same as long as you don't have stats on the dd objects. Ran into this at a place where they had ALL_ROWS set -- lots of my scripts would take forever.

On a side note, recursive SQL issued by the DB will still use CHOOSE even when you have set ALL_ROWS/FIRST_ROWS, and without stats on the dd objects, will then fall to rule. This "choose" mode can be seen in a raw trace file, indicated by the og=4 value (1=All_Rows, 2=First_Rows, 3=Rule, 4=Choose).

PARSING IN CURSOR #2 len=83 dep=1 uid=0 oct=3 lid=0 tim=102303376 hv=365454555 ad='2f1cfc8'
select cols,audit$,textlength,intcols,property,flags,rowid from view$ where obj#=:1
END OF STMT
PARSE #2:c=1,e=1,p=0,cr=0,cu=0,mis=0,r=0,dep=1,og=4,tim=102303377

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl_at_flash.net
214.954.1781