Re:Queues - does anyone use them

From: Steve Rospo <srospo_at_watchmark.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:14:52 -0800

I've used queues extensively and I've never had any reliability problems. Based on the user_jobs comment, I'd guess mkb is confusing DBMS_JOB with the DBMS_AQ functionality.

AQs are very nice. I built an entire scheduling system on using queues since they have some nice properties (transactional safety, message delay/timeout/retry, user defined object transport) but I can't vouch for the java bindings having only used it via PL/SQL. They seem to be fairly light weight, but don't go nuts. I have a dev server that has the same product installed *LOTS* of times so it's got nearly 1000 queues on it so the QMON0 process gets a little CPU hoggy. On a "normal" server with 6 queues, it's negligible for low throughput applications. YMMV if you need the queues to handle sustained high throughput rates.

...oh yeah, we read the same recovery warning and threw the queues in their own TS.

S-

Author: Steve Rospo
  INET: srospo_at_watchmark.com