RE: Help in Training on DBA

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 00:33:29 -0800

>Hi,
>
>We are in a process of purchasing Oracle Database.
>This deal will include
>hands-on training as well. The course outline given
>by the dealer is as
>follows:
>* Database physical & logical Architecture.
>* Database Startup and Shutdown.
>* Database physical & logical backups.
>* Operating system backups.
>* User Creation.
>* Database issues understanding.
>It would be a great help to me if you could
>add/cross out from this list.
>
>TIA!
>
>Aleem

Aleem,

   About a decade ago, when the whole of the DBA guide was still holding in a single volume, I carried out an interesting exercise : for each topic from the 'concepts' manual, I compared the number of relevant pages in the 'DBA Guide'. The ratio was very interesting; as seen from Oracle Corp some topics were conceptually hard to understand but of little practical importance while others were easy to understand but a pain to manage - and I broadly agreed with their perception.   Besides my adding a SQL course to your list, understand that most problems a Junior DBA encounters are linked (besides mundane difficulties such as access rights to OS files/directories) to user management (grants and privileges, security issues) and storage management (the way tables and indices, chiefly, are physically stored and evolve over time). Plus of course backup and recovery, but I am glad to see that it figures prominently in your list (I don't know about other countries, but Oracle France proposes a 'DBA level 1' and a 'DBA level 2' courses, and backup and recovery are level 2 topics!).   If you understand and manage well backup/recovery, users and storage this is enough for a start, and performance issues will naturally come in their time ...

HTH, Stephane Faroult
Oriole

Author: Stephane Faroul
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com