RE: 1 Volume of Software RAID 1+0 versus Multiple Volumes of Soft

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:13:25 -0800

Yes - and I just completed stress-testing an OLTP database where we went from 2 distinct 'filesystems' for data files to 12 separate filesystems. Average wait times for I/O dropped from 40 - 50 msec (yes 40 - 50 msec!) to about 10 - 13 msec. All this was on an Disk Array and all we did was to convince the SAs to chop it up this way. Apparently, some software layers at the Array level that 'combined' LUNs to make it look like a large filesystem was also disabled.

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

What would you see if you were allowed to look back at your life at the end of your journey in this earth?

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com