Re: BLOB Storage

From: <Reginald.W.Bailey_at_jpmorgan.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:59:16 -0800

The BLOB can be "in line" if the size is less than 4k, otherwise it is stored as "out-of-line".

RWB "Gene Sais" <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>@fatcity.com on 10/29/2002 07:39:01 AM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:

I have a 1tb db w/ 95% of it inline blobs, same tbs as data. No performance degradation. However, if I were to do it again, I would have separated the blobs out as B/R is a nightmare, soon to be better w/ RMAN. I haven't received my RF RMAN book yet, amazon must be backfilling orders.

hth,
Gene

>>> vsgeorge70_at_yahoo.com 10/28/02 09:18PM >>>

We've got a table with a BLOB column that is currently at 3+ Gig (400,000 records). The max value in the BLOB column is 3k (average (1.5 K). We are currently
storing the BLOB "out of line" (in a separate tablespace). The cache size for the BLOB is 8k (also the block size). Each BLOB is taking up 8K (at the least twice the space required by the BLOB). This table is expected to grow to 10+ million records in the next year.

First of all, we're trying to convince the vendor to agree to partition the table.
In addition (FINALLY the question :-) !!!), we're trying to decide whether we would gain anything (space being a constraint right now), from a storage standpoint in making the BLOB "in line". Obviously we're not going to going to risk performance in order to save space :-) !!!

I'm hoping someone in this list would have had some goog or bad experience in this regard. Would there be a major performance hit if I change
the BLOB to be "in line" ????

Thanks,

Sunny

Do you Yahoo!?