RE: Flat file generation integrity ideas...

From: Grabowy, Chris <cgrabowy_at_fcg.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:19:11 -0800

Actually, I am sending and receiving files.

They will be handling the FTP of the files, and making sure it has FTPed correctly.

I just have to have a sanity check of the file. Basically, I decided to prefix each data line with 'DAT', and the "CRC line" with 'CRC'. The flat file is "read into the database" via an external table. I query the CRC record, get the expected record count and then count how many rows were actually sent. And then if there is a number column, then I sum that up and check it against the "CRC" expected sum.

Perhaps all this is overkill, but I know that the odds of data corruption are slim to none. I don't like making assumptions, and I can't assume the file is ok.

Many thanks to everyone that responded!!!

Author: Yechiel Adar
  INET: adar76_at_inter.net.il

command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: Grabowy, Chris
  INET: cgrabowy_at_fcg.com