Re: ole

From: Thomas Day <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:19:22 -0800

Many thanks.

                    Jeff Herrick
                    <jherrick            To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    @igs.net>            cc:
                    Sent by: root        Subject:     Re: ole

                    10/27/2002
                    12:38 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

Umm,

The program sets up an ODatabase object and then references ODynaset objects to issue queries

e.g. assuming you have a 3 edit control login dialog box with a class name of MYDialog. Somewhere in the InitInstance() member for the application object you should have

#include "oracl.h"
#include "mydialog.h"

MYDialog dlg;
ODatabase odb;
int stat;

OStartup(); // Initialize the OLE server if(dlg.DoModal() == IDOK) // run the connection dialog {
  stat = odb.Open(dlg.m_CSDatabase,dlg.m_CSUser,dlg.m_CSPass);

  // check for an error and if ok then proceed to use the
  // ODatabase object in calls to open ODynaset objects or
  // execute stored procedures etc.

}

Or if you're running as a service you can stash/retrieve the parameters in the registry through your code. The point is that everything has to be done through YOUR code....it's just an API Think of it as a Windows-only alternative to PRO*C. It's not like ODBC where you setup different connections through another tool.

Generally speaking you need to

  1. create a new project workspace with Visual Studio
  2. copy ORACLM.LIB from the orawin install directory and insert it into the project
  3. copy/insert oracl.h from the oracle directory
  4. make sure your project starts up OLE (AfxOleInit()) and you call the Oracle supplied function OStartup()
  5. compile against ORACLM.LIB and run against ORACLM.DLL

Each client running your .exe must have OLE Objects installed and the Oracle data control registered.

HTH Jeff Herrick

Author: Jeff Herrick
  INET: jherrick_at_igs.net

Author: Thomas Day