RE: can clustering help INSERTS ?

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 10:38:24 -0800

Naveen -

   He provided figures, and they are on the handout that is somewhere in my office. Maybe I'll run across it someday, or even better, maybe he'll publish his results. Here are a few more details that I posted to this list earlier.

   Kevin Loney (author of Oracle DBA Handbook) has performed index performance tests and presented a paper at our Twin Cities Oracle User's Group (http://www.tcoug.org). I don't know if his paper is on that site or if Kevin has posted it somewhere or if he will included his findings in a future book.

   His results (from memory) was that there weren't any big surprises. Say it takes 1 hour to load a table with no indexes on it. If you put 1 index on that table, load time will increase about 20% to maybe 1hr 12 minutes (depending on how many columns are indexed, etc.). If we add a second index, load time will again increase, but by a smaller amount than for the first, maybe to 1 hr. 23 minutes. And so it goes. By the time we reach 20 indexes, adding a 21st index may add only 3 or 4 minutes to our load time. There didn't seem to be any point where adding one more index would throw load times into a black hole and double load times or something like that.

   Kevin also tested whether the size of the index mattered. There were points where say, the 100,000th row caused index performance to suddenly drop, probably due to factors like adding a newer blevel. However it was almost impossible to predict this point ahead of time.

   My conclusions:

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.