RE: Database Creation(RANTING)

From: Naveen Nahata <naveen_nahata_at_mindtree.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 05:43:20 -0800

Well said Joe! I liked the second part.

Regards
Naveen

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, October 26, 2002 6:33 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

copy the init.ora
look at the size of the redo logs, size of the datafiles. make all the directories on the new machine.

Wait, how did you create the first database? I'm 99% sure you didnt type create database.

use the same scripts

and oh yes READ THE DOCUMENTATION.
Most of the people here will help the newbies BUT DAMN take some of your own initiative.

If you'd like to know how I learned oracle 11+ years ago, read on otherwise delete now.

I start at a large insurance firm as a C programmer/Unix SA. First day on the job, they asked me what I knew about Oracle, I said nothing, which was the truth. They said can you load it for us on this sun box, I said "sure does it come with an installation guide?", they had no idea since the box was still sealed. I opened it up and started reading.

Today its a easier, you can use database creation assistants, all of this GUI crap, creating a Database is damn baby's work nowadays. Back in version 5 days, the docs sucked, support sucked, we had to figure it out on our own.

Spend some time reading the docs, experimenting, learning instead of having everyone bottle feed you. You can almost be a decent DBA by not doing anything except using GUI tools, so my question is why all of the questions, if you've not eeven read the administrators guide. Take some initiative.

That is all.

joe

Author: Joe Testa
  INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com