Re: standby database question.

From: <Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:16:25 -0800

That would be the manual mode. "Recover standby database". With 8i, and the multiple archive destinations, you have the sustained recovery mode. "Recover managed standby database". A sustained recovery mode will lock your telnet window, and will be dedicated to doing just the recovery. But then, one can always create a shell script, and run it in the background with nohup, assuming you are on Unix.

The latest issue of Ora Magazine has a good write up on standby database in 9i, and the FAL (Is that the name?) process.

Raj

The oramag also mentiones Carl Dudley to be the DBA of the year, and also features x$ Gopal.

                    Rachel
                    Carmichael           To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <wisernet100@        cc:
                    yahoo.com>           Subject:     Re: standby database question.
                    Sent by:
                    root_at_fatcity.
                    com

                    October 23,
                    2002 12:49 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

Windows?

I used to do this with a 7.3.4 instance on Unix, I had a shell script that would run every x minutes, and would first check to see it if was already running. If not, it would do the recover automatic. It would "fail" when it ran out of archived logs to apply, but the cron would restart it and check for more.

Worked pretty well..

Rachel
--- Joe Testa <jtesta_at_dmc-it.com> wrote:
> I'm back on 8i for a different client who wants to implement standby
> database.
>
> other than the whole possibility of losing data during a failover,
> i've
> not been able to find anything about doing managed recovery with out
> having a dedicated session to put the database in managed recovery
> mode.
>
> SQL> recover managed standby database;
>

> this does not fork into the background but is a foreground process,
> that
> ties that window up as it receives and applies logs, that is correct
> right?
>
> Its not until 9i where we get the luxury of managed recovery being a
> background proces, right?
>
> thanks, joe

> Author: Joe Testa
> INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com