Re: Linux

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:45:21 -0800

Define Linux.

Check the support matrix. I liked running on Redhat, but Oracle seemed to drop support for the free versions after 7.1 or so. Anyway, you may want support and so you may want to purchase some of the enterprise releases of linux, such as from RedHat or SuSE that are included in the support matrix.

For an inexpensive test environment I moved to Mandrake 9.0 and Oracle 9.2.0 which went together like a glove. It does require .5GB or ram, however and is not supported. I don't care about that for this particular effort.

Free at last!

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 08:43:51AM -0800, dgoulet_at_vicr.com wrote:
> Christine,
>
> Runs fine, but you'll have to use the export/import conversion route. OH,
> and get use to a different OS.
>
> Dick Goulet

> Author: "Turner; Christine" <christine.turner_at_ips-sendero.com>
> Date: 10/23/2002 8:14 AM
>
> Greetings ALL!
>
> Have a question for anyone who has info....I'm researching what it would
> take to convert a NT database platform (Oracle 81730) to Linux. I have not
> approached Metalink yet, but will soon. Does anyone have any information on
> Linux? Whether or not Oracle can run on it? Info on the steps involved to do
> so?
>
> Thanks,
> Christine Turner
> Sr. Database Administrator
> Scottsdale, Arizona
> Author: Turner, Christine
> INET: christine.turner_at_ips-sendero.com

> INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Ray Stell   stellr_at_vt.edu     (540) 231-4109     KE4TJC    28^D
Author: Ray Stell
  INET: stellr_at_cns.vt.edu