RE: Website that contains materials about performance tuning of S

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:40:56 -0800

New Bee

    If I understand your question, you are looking for information on how to tune SQL statements. Actually, I've been searching for something like this for quite a while. I glanced at the web link in Dave's reply, but I didn't see anything that directly addressed SQL statement tuning. If I overlooked something, maybe someone will point it out. Great list though, thanks Dave!

    I'm pretty sure you won't find a resource that is generic to all relational databases. Each database is free to choose how to execute a given SQL statement, so from what I've seen, SQL statement performance tuning tends to be very database-specific.

    For Oracle, the best resource I've found is a book (not free, but pretty inexpensive) "Oracle SQL Tuning Pocket Reference" by Mark Gurry from O'Reilly $12.95 U.S. However, it tries to cover both RBO and CBO. Also, it has been criticized for inaccuracies.

    Also, you may find more on basic SQL statement tuning if you search for EXPLAIN PLAN.
    Overall, I expected someone to publish a checklist of things to tune a SQL statement in the form: look for this, try this, then try this, etc. Since I haven't found such a checklist, maybe my expectations are unrealistic.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: CHAN Chor Ling Catherine (CSC)
  INET: clchan_at_nie.edu.sg

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Oct 23 2002 - 12:40:56 CDT