Re:oracle or mssql

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:33:43 -0800

In reality your boss does not have to invest in either. Flat files are still viable options for limited scope and usage applications.

But in the real world most applications need a database of some type to run in a multi user environment. That being the case, why would one want to use either.

  1. The first point that hits me is that MSSQL runs on Windows only. Now that may be a good thing to some but in general I would think it's a bad thing. You will not be able to take advantage of Linux which is a much cheaper and reliable OS on the intel platform. On top of that the future of MicroSoft and Windows is greatly in doubt. The anti trust action I have not heard an end to. That being the case we may not have a MicroSoft to kick around in a year or two. Oracle on the other hand does NOT have these limitations.
  2. Feature set wise Oracle outpaces MSSql. Many of their "new" features have been in Oracle for some time. Try doing partitioning in MSSql. No don't, there is no need to commit suicide!
  3. Take a serious look at what your buying and what you need. You'll find that Oracle bundles a lot into the package where as with MS it's an extra, and that means extra cost.
  4. Seriously look at both Standard edition instead of Enterprise and Named users vs. CPU licensing. Unless your actually connecting the beast up to an internet server or some other out of control piece of middle ware Named users is much cheaper. Standard edition will force you not to use many of Oracle's advanced features, but if your not using them why pay for them?

In the end you need to make a decision based on business needs. I would argue that investing in Oracle at least keeps your options open in the future, where as with MS, well that's just a dead end road.

Dick Goulet

Author: GKor_at_rdw.nl
Date:       10/22/2002 11:38 PM

Hi list

Please input why my boss must invest into oracle rather than the cheaper mssql.
His opinion is that most features are almost the same but mssql does that at half the price as oracle does.
So why he should not choose mssql is the question

g.g. kor
rdw ict groningen

  INET: GKor_at_rdw.nl

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Oct 23 2002 - 10:33:43 CDT