RE: Book Suggestion

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:33:56 -0800

Veronica - Fortunately there are beginning to be a few to choose from. A new book that will hit the shelves soon is:

Oracle9i RMAN Backup & Recovery by Robert Freeman (who participates on this list) and Matthew Hart. I believe there is a sample chapter posted somewhere, but I can't recall which site. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=6WIANMIL0 H&isbn=0072226625

For a simple resource to get you started, try Oracle Backup and Recovery 101 by Kenny Smith and Stephan Haisley. About half of this is devoted to RMAN. They have some simple step-by-step tutorials that have you create a small database and then perform each of the major backup actions, corrupt your database, then recover it.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=6WIANMIL0 H&isbn=0072194618

A good, inexpensive guide to keep at your elbow is Oracle RMAN Pocket Reference by Darl Kuhn and Scott Schulze. This is particularly if you are working with Oracle 8i and Oracle9i versions of RMAN. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=6WIANMIL0 H&isbn=0596002335

Please reply if you have any further questions on this. It took me awhile to figure out just how RMAN worked.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Veronica Levin
  INET: vlevin_at_victoria.com.ni

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Oct 22 2002 - 12:33:56 CDT