Re: Get together at OOW

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:18:50 -0800

Gee! You know you've made it when you become an HTML tag... :-)

---

I find it ironic in several ways that "Oracle Open World" has now become
"Open World".  In fact, the name "Open World" itself has a definite irony,
doesn't it?

Does the new name mean that Oracle will no longer be the sole sponsor of the
conference?  Will we have MS, Teradata, and IBM presentations and exhibits
at OW2002?

---

I don't want to get any individuals in hot water because several on this
list are able to guess identities, so *please* don't!!!  But this makes a
good parable illustrating the current situation, with the serious flaw of
being true.

I've an acquaintance who works for Oracle whose abstract was accepted for
IOUG-A "Live 2002" last year.  However, Oracle corporate prohibited them
from accepting, because they had not been "approved" by Oracle corporate.
He/She offered to do the presentation on vacation time and pay expenses out
of pocket, but this was rejected because he/she would still be "representing
Oracle".  The powers-that-be had not seen the abstract nor the presentation,
so the rejection had nothing to do with content;  this was an ordinary
employee who just wasn't on the list of approved people, apparently.  So,
Oracle corporate advised submitting the abstract for Open World 2002
instead...

...you guessed it!  The abstract was rejected...

---

Don't get me wrong -- I do know where and how my bread is buttered and I
thank my luck in finding an industry niche like Oracle where I can make a
great living doing what my ex-cop father still shakes his head about in
wonder.

But it is more and more unsmiling legalistic drones seem to be making the
decisions at the "Big O" these days, no doubt.  Kind of makes you yearn for
the "good ol' days" when the place was ruled by rapacious, wide-open sales
people, no?