Re: ROWID question?

From: <Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 07:49:49 -0800

Hi,

Space is reused therefore ROWID are reused. You can certainly modify your delete duplicate routine for special cases to include record must have max date.

Rick

                    Denham Eva
                    <EvaD_at_TFMC.co.       To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    za>                  cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     ROWID question?
                    root_at_fatcity.c
                    om

                    10/22/2002
                    10:49 AM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

Hello Gurus

Does Oracle reuse ROWID "numbers", once a delete of a row has been done?

The reason I ask is because, I need to delete duplicate records from a very large table.
However I must keep the newest date in one of the date columns.

If oracle does not reuse the ROWID this would be very simple. Here is my sql:

DELETE FROM tablename a
WHERE ROWID <> (SELECT MAX(ROWID)

                        FROM tablename b
                        WHERE a.col1 = b.col1
                        AND a.col2 = b.col2
                        AND a.col3 = b.col3);

However if Oracle does reuse ROWID's then I have a serious sql problem :) All the examples I have of deleteing duplicates use the ROWID. If anyone has a suggestion on how else to do this I would be most grateful.

Otherwise answer on my main question would be fine. Many Thanks
Denham Eva

DISCLAIMER This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. TFMC, its holding company, and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor and manage all e-mail communications through its networks.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be views of any such entity.

This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared by MailMarshal - For more information please visit www.marshalsoftware.com

  INET: Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Oct 22 2002 - 10:49:49 CDT