RE: Get together at OOW

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 04:24:54 -0800

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, [iso-8859-1] Connor McDonald wrote:

> Does anyone remember the days when there were
> non-Oracle people allowed to speak at OpenWorlds ? You
> know, there were actually presentations that didn't
> sound like you had accidentally dropped into a
> car-salesman's convention

I have spoken at OOW for the last three years, and I have never worked for Oracle. Hopefully, I have never sounded like a shill for Oracle. If anything, I derive perverse pleasure from making fun of Oracle in my presentations, just to see if I can get myself uninvited next year.

It is true, that presenters are predominantly Oracle employees, and major Oracle customers and partners. This limits the number of presentations having technical merit. I only attend OOW to present papers, to meet you all, and then only if admission is free.

--
Jeremiah Wilton
http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Jeremiah Wilton INET: jwilton_at_speakeasy.net Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).