Re: auditing CREATE DATABASE

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 08:03:23 -0800

Actually, there are a lot of different errors possible against the "CREATE DATABASE ...." statement.
A quick search for "CREATE DATABASE" in the Error Messages manual [9.2] returned a count of 43, of which some would be "CREATE DATABASE LINK ..."

I remember when I've entered the command "CREATE DATABASE LINKE ..." I have been given an error relating to "CREATE DATABASE" [I believe it was "ORA-02165 : invalid option for CREATE DATABASE"].

An SERVERERROR trigger would be the best way to catch "CREATE DATABASE" statements.

Unless, of course, you want to know who has created or attempted to create a database --
ie issued the command against a [then] non-existent instance. The statement would have then been logged in the instance's alert.log file, whether it be in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log or in the background_dump_dest.

Hemant

At 09:50 AM 17-10-02 -0800, you wrote:
>What a tongue-in-cheek answer: "only catches successful attempts"! I like
>his/her sense of humor...
>
>Issuing a CREATE DATABASE command against an already mounted and open
>database triggers an ORA-01501 error. If you are running Oracle8i or above,
>you could create an AFTER SERVERERROR database-event trigger to capture such
>errors and then log the occurrance in a table somewhere.
>
>Regardless of what version you are running, ORA-01501 gets logged to the
>"alert.log" file, so you can catch it that way, too...

Hemant K Chitale
My web site page is : http://hkchital.tripod.com

Author: Hemant K Chitale
  INET: hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg