RE: is this block cleanout ?

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 07:18:30 -0800

Stephane,
 The db version in question is 7.3.2. And as of 7.3 the init parameter, delayed_logging_block_cleanouts, defaults to TRUE (for OPS and non-OPS).  From my understanding of the delayed block cleanout, when oracle commits a transaction the blocks that it changed are not immediately marked with the commit time. The change to blocks can be due to insert, update or delete. However, if those blocks were still in the buffer cache, the cleanout will take place immediately and there won't be any disk i/o for the cleanout. If select count(*) is causing an FTS, then the changed blocks that are not in the buffer cache may be getting cleaned. If there is no FTS, then there is something else going on.... And that's why I said 'sounds about right.' Hopefully tracing the session may reveal what's going on...

Regards,
- Kirti

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriole.com