RE: ETL architecture

From: Loughmiller, Greg <Greg.Loughmiller_at_cingular.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 06:39:34 -0800

An example of what we have/do here.. Not that it's perfect-but it seems to fit the "need"...

We use an ETL tool (Informatica....) from a central server. The scripts,etc will connect to the multiple datasources (oracle, db2, sybase, informaix,redbrick) to obtain the data based on the business rules and requirements... We also have the source systems extract and ftp to the ETL server as well. It's not the preferred method-but certain systems have a time critical issue when the extracts are ran..

Typically-if the business rules ask for 3 data elements. We get most of the important "stuff" from a table so we can extend the warehouse without going back to the source...

There is some "T" going on as it loads those misc. data sources into the Staging area (oracle with the ETL). Or it takes the data straight to the warehouse (teradata).

But multiple projects that require data for the different ?DW subject areas will use the same ETL infrastructure.

greg

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?=   INET: stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

Author: Loughmiller, Greg
  INET: Greg.Loughmiller_at_cingular.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Oct 17 2002 - 09:39:34 CDT