Re: Multiple Listeners

From: Rachna Vaidya <rachnavaidya_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 04:41:09 -0800

Here are my current findings....

Auto Registration :

  1. Auto Registration takes place with default listener when....

   local_listener="(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)HOST=lightening)(PORT=1526))"    When the above line was NOT present in init.ora of the database (db7)    for whcih the second listener is configured, the database Auto registered    with the old listener (v816, PORT=1521) too. So, that I could connect to    the database through both listeners.

2. Auto Registration does NOT take place with default listener when....

   local_listener="(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)HOST=lightening)(PORT=1526))"    When the above line was present in init.ora of the database (db7)    for whcih the second listener is configured, the database Auto registered    with the new listener. So, now I could connect to the database through    the new listener only!

Multiple Listeners :

  1. Is it possible to have single listener?
    > You can use the 'higher' version of the listener for all databases
    > running on <= higher version, unless you need multiple listeners
    > for other reasons.... Net8 Admin Guide should have enough information.

   So, using signel v817 listener for v817 as well as v816 databases was    possible.

2. What's involved in configuring multiple listeners?

   There are metalink docs explaining it in details, But in short :    They have to be of different names.
   Explicit name needs to be used for non default (name other than LISTENER)    listeners while using lsnrctl command.    They need to be listening on different ports.    The KEY value for IPC needs to be different in each listener.ora.

3. Why I decided to run single listener in the end?

   When I was running two listeners, each was listening on different ports.    Initially, I had only one listener at PORT=1521.    So all my client side configuration in tnsnames.ora were pointing    to PORT=1521. Now with this second listener listening at PORT=1526,    I would have needed to change all of my client side configuration.    (We are not using Names Server currently.)

Thanks for the discussion!

-Rachna

Author: Rachna Vaidya
  INET: rachnavaidya_at_hotmail.com