Re: Multiple Listeners

From: <Reginald.W.Bailey_at_jpmorgan.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:20:19 -0800

It is better to have a single Listener per server, unless you have multiple servers that use high availability fail over between the servers. The single listener should be the most recent one on the server. It is backwards compatible with Oracle8i versions and Oracle7 databases. There is no need to run multiple listeners on the same server, especially when the versions are just one release off from each other (e.g. 8.1.6 and 8.1.7). A single listener and a single Intelligent Agent should be all that is needed. It may be clever to see if multiple listeners can run, but even Oracle will tell you that running multiple listeners is worse than foolish.:) In addition to changing the Oracle Home, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LIBPATH would have to be changed as well to match the libraries to the correct version of the listener.

Trust me, you only need one version of the Listener up. I have three versions of Oracle on a server: Oracle7, Oracle8i v8.1.7 and Oracle9i v9.2.0. I use the Oracle9i listener and agent on the servers. It allows seamless connections to all the databases.

RWB "Rachna Vaidya" <rachnavaidya_at_hotmail.com>@fatcity.com on 10/16/2002 02:23:35 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:

Thanks for the inputs.
This is how I did it.

  1. There are two listener.ora files /opt/app/oracle/product/816/listener.ora : FILE816 /opt/app/oracle/product/817/listener.ora : FILE817 FILE817 is a copy of FILE816
  2. Entries for db7 are removed from FILE816 FILE816 listner name is left unchanged as LISTENER FILE816 entry for IPC was left unchanged : (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC)) FILE816 entry for PORT was left unchanged : (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = lightening)(PORT = 1521))
  3. Entries for db6 are removed from FILE817 and ORACLE_HOME path changes are made FILE817 listner name was changed to LISTENER_817 FILE817 entry for IPC was changed as : (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC_817)) ORACLE_HOME path changes were made to FILE817 FILE817 entry for PORT was changed as : (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = lightening)(PORT = 1526))
  4. To use 816 listener

ORACLE_HOME=$/opt/app/oracle/product/816 cd $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl stop listener
$ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl start listener
$ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl status listener

9. To use 817 listener

ORACLE_HOME=$/opt/app/oracle/product/817 cd $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl stop listener_817
$ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl start listener_817
$ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl status listener_817

And I think I am having

a. two separate Listeners
b. for two different databases
c. in different version (having different ORACLE_HOME)
d. listening at different ports

Am I correct or there is some mistake / improvement?

Thanks for the inputs.

-Rachna
Author: Rachna Vaidya
  INET: rachnavaidya_at_hotmail.com