RE: NO ANALYZE STATS FOR TABLE

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 07:33:57 -0800

Moses - Ah, another clue. Yes, no results provided until the analyze completes. Your problem isn't getting results, but getting the analyze to complete. Analyze also sorts the data, so your TEMP file is probably getting hit like crazy also. Kill that command. Try again with ANALYZE TABLE A ESTIMATE STATISTICS.
   There is no reason to analyze each and every row in an 8 million row table. Just take a sample. Read the documentation on ANALYZE and decide what type of sample is appropriate for your table. Personally, I favor analyze a fixed number of rows, having studied statistics in the past. The best would be to do a baseline analysis, note the statistics reported and how long it took to complete. Then increase the estimate, note the new statistics and the completion time. After a few tries, you'll notice the statistics aren't changing much. You will decide the best cost/benefit tradeoff between number of rows and the results obtained.

   On a smaller table, you can perform this experiment in reverse, first doing a complete analysis, then comparing the results with varying sizes of estimates.

   Also, depending on your Oracle version, check out DBMS_STATS. Oracle is now focusing its efforts on that package.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  INET: moyam_at_mtn.co.ug

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Oct 15 2002 - 10:33:57 CDT