RE: Replication

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 06:58:47 -0800

Robin

   Your management sounds like some people I dealt with that assumed they would just "flip the replication switch". How much of the 30-gig. do they plan to replicate? What replication interval? What tools do they plan to use? What is the replication direction - master-slave, peer-peer? How many sites? Ask for a copy of their replication policies. How will replication problems be detected? How will they be rectified?

   For reading, I would recommend what are the only 2 books I could locate (does that give you a hint about the popularity of replication?)   Data Replication, Marie Buretta (lots of information about why policies are vital and how to write them).
  Oracle Distributed Systems, Charles Dye. The key to replication success (I can only speak from book knowledge) is in the people and the policies that coordinate their efforts and ensure nothing is overlooked, not in the technology.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Robin Li
  INET: rli_at_nyp.org

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Oct 14 2002 - 09:58:47 CDT