Re:Session Data Unit and tcp.nodelay

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:43:50 -0800

Peter,

    I've messed with TDU and SDU over the years with mixed and often unpredictable results. TCP.NODELAY has caused some very quirky problems with applications especially when mixed with large values for TDU/SDU. If you do set TDU/SDU set them equal to each other, doing otherwise has again produced some quirky and intermittent problems, like applications appearing to hang or timeout all together. What your trying to control is your server and client's use of the TCP/IP layer. Now if this particular application uses a local database, like our WorkManager CAD application, then these will have no effect since SQL*Net is basically not involved.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Schauss; Peter" <SCHAUPE_at_mail.northgrum.com>
Date:       10/11/2002 12:05 PM

We have third party CAD application called VPM which we are using to organize 3d engineering models. It uses an Oracle database to store some information on locations of models and relationships between parts. We are having some performance problems which seem to point to the database access. With sql tracing turned on, we determined that one of the operations in question used more than 1700 sql statements.

The consultant we work with is suggesting that we try to improve the Net8 throughput either by seting tcp.nodelay or by adjusting the size of the Session Data Unit. A quick look at the Net8 manual suggests that both of these could potentially improve throughput by forcing packets to be sent out sooner instead of blocking several requests/responses together.

Does anyone have any experience with these settings?

Any suggestions as to what settings to try as a start?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
Northrop Grumman Corporation
schaupe_at_mail.northgrum.com

Author: Schauss, Peter
  INET: SCHAUPE_at_mail.northgrum.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Oct 11 2002 - 15:43:50 CDT