Re: 9.2 on Red Hat 8.0

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 08:08:40 -0800

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 10:53:57AM -0800, Gogala, Mladen wrote:
> May I subscribe to the results of your undertaking?
> My home email is mailto:mgogala_at_adelphia.net
> May the force be with you.

Went great! Well, sort of...

I didn't even read the install guide (and the results will show below). I was amazed how it sailed past the link phase. I expected it to blow up there. It didn't, no glibc issues to be seen. I don't have enough memory to actually start the db, however. I get:

Fri Oct 11 09:53:18 2002
WARNING: EINVAL creating segment of size 0x000000000f400000 fix shm parameters in /etc/system or equivalent

$ oerr ora 27123
27123, 00000, "unable to attach to shared memory segment" // *Cause: shmat() call failed
// *Action: check permissions on segment, contact Oracle support

0x000000000f400000 = 256MB

I don't even have that much real memory. This is a junker pc I resurrected from the dumpster with duct tape and prayer. On the upside the install was one of the smoothest I've ever seen. Mandrake 9.0 and Ora 9.2.0 seem to be a nice fit (as long as ora support is not an issue). Mandrake 9's installer is really slick, one of the best of any os I've ever seen.

Alright, break times over!

Ray Stell stellr_at_vt.edu (540) 231-4109 KE4TJC 28^D
Author: Ray Stell
  INET: stellr_at_cns.vt.edu