RE: Re[2]: sequence numbers

From: Mark J. Bobak <mark_at_bobak.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 05:58:44 -0800

April,

What can I say? Ouch! I feel your pain. I've been trapped in some pretty ridiculous situations too. (Though, I think you have me beat! A 37 column primary key?? Really??) Well, you at least seem to have the proper attitude. ;-) Without a sense of humor, I'm afraid you'd go insane in short order! ;-)

The only other thing I can think of when people shut you down like that is: document. "At meeting X, on such and such a date, I identified this problem, and Mr. Z told me to not to worry about it." It may not help, but from a sanity point of view, there is a certain amount of satisfaction in "I told you so!", even if you never verbalize it....;-)

Hang in there,

-Mark

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 08:43, April Wells wrote:
> Mark...
>
> If this were the MOST serious design flaw in the whole mess, I wouldn't care
> so much. There is a point where you just shut up (gee, I have been TOLD to
> do that in meetings) and wait till it breaks (or worse, one of our clients
> buys it and we have to TRY to implement). I am the funny one... the one to
> laugh at and make fun of because I keep trying to tell them that you can't
> do things. You can't have a totally denormalized Oracle table if there 1500
> columns in it... yes queries will fly on a table that can't be built. You
> can't have 37 columns in a primary key. Date really isn't an acceptable
> name for a column.
>
> April Wells
> Oracle DBA
> Keep yourself well oiled with life, laughter, new ideas and action.
> Otherwise you will rust out. _Anonymous

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
mark_at_bobak.net
"It is not enough to have a good mind.  The main thing is to use it
well."
 						-- Rene Descartes
Author: Mark J. Bobak
  INET: mark_at_bobak.net