Re: Space... confusion

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:43:43 -0800

Probably due to tempfiles in your TEMPORARY tablespace...

Tempfiles are "sparsely populated files" (not certain if that is the correct term). That is, if you display them with the command "ls -l", you'll see them apparently consuming the full amount of space you specified when you created them. However, if you get the chance, try to perform a "df -k" against the file-system in question before and after you ADD TEMPFILE and you'll see that the space consumed within the file-system doesn't change. Then, as sorting or global-temporary-table activity hits the TEMP tablespace, you'll see changes in "df -k"...

In essence, there is a difference between the output displayed by "ls -l" and "df -k", and the "df" command is correct. I'm not sure how the "du" command reacts to all this...

Not really sure how to explain it, but I'm pretty that this is what you are experiencing. Rather annoying, isn't it?

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com