Re: Advice needed on move to Sun 15K (losing spindles)

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:53:57 -0800

More than separate ORACLE_HOMEs, you might also consider individual "oracle" software owner accounts and "dba" and "oper" groups for each database...

Folks often install all Oracle distributions under a single account, "oracle", specifying a single SYSDBA group ("dba") and a single SYSOPER group ("oper"). The intent is usually to have database instances share ORACLE_HOMEs where possible...

There are several practical downsides to this:

Although HW vendors (including Sun) have developed "partitioning" schemes for servers, it is perhaps overkill. A form of "server partitioning" has always been possible by making creative use of OS accounts and groups. The major difference between the HW vendors "server partitioning" scheme and using OS accounts to separate things is the fact that the former actually assigns groups of CPUs and allocates memory to each partition. Dividing by OS accounts allows all resources to be shared amongst the "partitions". The trade-offs should be obvious...

> Others have addressed the performance issues.
>
> What about the admin issues?
>
> If consolidate to a single server, consider a separate
> ORACLE_HOME for each database. You may need
> to apply different patches to fix different problems in
> various databases.
>
> You have this ability now, but will lose it if you consolidate
> without separate ORACLE_HOME's.
>
> Something else you will lose is the ability to reboot the
> server if needed for a single database.
>
> Since you may be moving to a 15k, investigate server
> partitioning to retain this functionality.
>
> Jared
>

> "Miller, Jay" <JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com>
> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
> 10/09/2002 11:53 AM
> Please respond to ORACLE-L
>

> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L