Re: Advice needed on move to Sun 15K (losing spindles)

From: <Peter.McLarty_at_mincom.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 17:58:36 -0800

Ask the Sun guys if they will sign a document saying they will pay all cost including hardware to fix the performance problems, if after you make the change and performance is worse. It will show that you are serious and if they seriously believe they are right then they have nothing to fear,

I never understand why these vendors insist in building systems with so little hardware

Cheers

Peter McLarty               E-mail: Peter.Mclarty_at_mincom.com
Technical Consultant        WWW: http://www.mincom.com
APAC Technical Services     Phone: +61 (0)7 3303 3461
Brisbane,  Australia        Mobile: +61 (0)402 094 238
                            Facsimile: +61 (0)7 3303 3048
A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

    - Walter Bagehot (1826-1877 British Economist)
Mincom "The People, The Experience, The Vision"

delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the
opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of
companies unless expressly stated otherwise.

Anjo Kolk <anjo_at_oraperf.com>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
10-10-2002 05:43 AM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Advice needed on move to Sun 15K (losing spindles)

Jay,

You will hit performance problems because of not having I/O bandwidth.
Databases don't need storage, they need IO operations. Two important
pieces of info that are missing from your post:

 - How many databases in total are going to run on this Sun 15K ?
 - How many concurrent users on all databases at the same time ?

Anjo.

"Miller, Jay" wrote:

> Our CIO has suggested that we get a Sun 15K to house all of our
> databases. This has some advantages (communication between the various
> boxes would be much faster) but I have some performance concerns.
>
> Specifically, our main OLTP database would go down from 18 spindles to 8
> spindles. Mirroring will take away 4 of those leaving 4 spindles. The
> vendor (Sun) was recommending striping across all 4 spindles. He said we
> don't need to worry about i/o issues because there will be a large
cache.

> I'm skeptical and argued for cutting them in half (striping 2 and 2). We
> could then at least seperate the redo logs from the datafiles (probably
> putting them with the oracle executables and some other files).
>
> The Sun rep kept talking up how much more powerful the CPUs were and I
kept
> saying, "but we're not CPU bound, we don't need any more CPU".
>
> If anyone can either
>
> a) tell me I'm worrying for nothing
> b) recommend a better way to stripe/distribute my files
> c) provide references or experience to show this is a bad idea
>
> I'd really appreciate it.
>

> Thanks,
> Jay Miller

> Author: Miller, Jay
> INET: JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Anjo Kolk INET: anjo_at_oraperf.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

Content-Type: text/plain; name="ReadMe.txt"; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing software at fatcity.com because binary attachments are not appropriate for mailing lists. If you want a copy of the attachment which was removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to you by private E-mail. This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions about this message, contact Postmaster_at_fatcity.com for clarification. --=_mixed 0004EFA84A256C4E_=-- -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: INET: Peter.McLarty_at_mincom.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

  • application/octet-stream attachment: STG18945