Re: DROP DEVELOPER not working

From: <Charlie_Mengler_at_HomeDepot.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 17:13:35 -0800

Privs obtained via roles (such as DROP TABLE) are NOT transferred (by default) when inside PL/SQL procedures.

                      Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmcha
                      se.com                   To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      root_at_fatcity.com         Subject:  DROP DEVELOPER not working

                      10/09/2002 02:28
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

We have a developer here, installing a third party application, who claims one of his "delete campaign" process is hanging. I looked at the wait events, saw nothing, and asked him to politely to go look at the code. After much analysys, the developer now complains, that Oracle is not executing a drop table command at the end of the process, and hanging there. He claims he can drop the table from SQLPLUS.

I asked him to rerun the process. I noticed no wait events for that session in v$session_wait when he claims the process is hanging. I see no DROP statements in the v$sqlarea. I did a 10046 trace, and the last statement in the trace file is a select statement. I looked at the sql addresses from v$session, linked it to v$sqlarea and the sql_text shows the same select statement as is seen in the trace file. I see no exclusive locks on the said table. I conclude that the application is not sending a DROP statement to Oracle for execution. He claims that cannot be the case. They have done the same installation in a test environment and it worked fine. The jury seems to be taking sides. I scream SOS. What more should I be doing? And Does an Oracle 10046 trace write into the trace file after the statement has executed?

Thanks
Raj

  INET: Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com