Re: Is it possible to copy one db to another if the SID is different

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 12:24:11 -0800

"CHAN Chor Ling Catherine (CSC)" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Qn : Is it possible to copy one database to another if the source database
> name is different from the target database name ?
>
> I need to clone Oracle Applications 11I from one machine (source
> instance:PROD) to another (target instance:TEST). I followed the
> instructions on Metalink doc 135792.1 "Cloning Oracle Applications Release
> 11I". Everything works fine until I re-create the controlfile in the target
> instance.
>
> In svrmgrl =>
> STARTUP NOMOUNT
> CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE "TEST" RESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG
> MAXLOGFILES 16
> MAXLOGMEMBERS 2
> MAXDATAFILES 500
> MAXINSTANCES 1
> MAXLOGHISTORY 453
> LOGFILE
> GROUP 1 (
> '/dg3/oracle/testredo/log01a.dbf',
> '/dg4/oracle/testredo/log01b.dbf'
> ) SIZE 10M
> DATAFILE
> '/dg7/oracle/testdata/system01.dbf',
> '/dg7/oracle/testdata/system02.dbf',
> '/dg8/oracle/testdata/ctxd01.dbf',
> CHARACTER SET US7ASCII
> CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE "TEST" RESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG
> *
> ORA-01503: CREATE CONTROLFILE failed
> ORA-01161: database name PROD in file header does not match given name of
> TEST
>
> Any advice ? Thanks. (Please reply to clchan_at_nie.edu.sg)
>
> Regds,
> New Bee
> --

Catherine,

   It IS possible, I have done it a number of times, although long ago. Out the top of my head I think that the problem is with the REUSE after the CREATE CONTROL FILE. It doesn't pertain to the files, creating a control file will not do anything to the data files (you probably feared overwriting them). And afterwards you need an ALTER DATABASE to change the global name.

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Software