RE: cpu on AIX

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 11:49:32 -0800

Henry - Here are my reactions, and hopefully someone that knows how to track system CPU usage back to an application will reply. One thought I have is to run each application on a test server and observe the system I/O there. I haven't tried this. Other thoughts:

  1. Are interactive users complaining? If they are, then you have a definite problem.
  2. In terms of maxing out the CPU, does this situation continue for long periods of time? For example, I have a financial system that is overloaded at the first of the month, but underutilized the rest of the month. But another system simply couldn't process everything they needed each day, so we had to do something. In that case the users ceased running some reports.
  3. I looked in Oracle Performance Tuning 101 to see what Gaja has to say. He points out that the Solaris sar -q command has a "%wio" column, a measure of processes that are currently using the CPU, but are waiting for I/O requests to be serviced and hence are not making prudent use of the CPU. He further says that %sys and %wio should be less than 10-15% and if it is consistently higher you need to get to the bottom of it, and usually it is a application causing the problem. No details on how to get to the bottom.
  4. Maybe you can get some type of O.S. audit that can report what system calls are being made, and that will give you a clue.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Henry Poras
  INET: hporas_at_etal.uri.edu

also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Henry Poras INET: hporas_at_etal.uri.edu Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L