RE: cpu on AIX

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 09:54:06 -0800

Henry - The issue isn't whether all the CPU is being used, but whether it is being used well. If the O.S. is handling priorities well, servicing your online users crisply, and just giving the excess CPU to a batch-type program, then that is okay. Do you think the O.S. should throw away 10% of the CPU for the heck of it? If users are experiencing sluggish response, then you have a tuning problem to diagnose.

   If you use STATSPACK, take a couple of snapshots and see what the waits are. If not, look at V$SESSION_EVENT.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Henry Poras
  INET: hporas_at_etal.uri.edu

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Oct 09 2002 - 12:54:06 CDT