Oracle Portal -- DB Performance Tuning -- any tips ?

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 07:00:22 -0800

Has anyone experiences to share on DB Performance Tuning for Oracle Portal [DB 8.1.7.2 for Oracle Portal 3.0.9.8.0 as part of iAS 1.0.2.2,
not yet having upgraded the Portal to 3.0.9.8.3 or 3.0.9.8.4] ?

Our portal implementation seems to have the following characteristics :

  1. Each page has 4 to 6 portlets [some are HTML, others StoredProcedures]
  2. Every time a user visits a page, each of the portlets makes a seperate connection to the database, executes the procedure and disconnects. [ie, 4 to 6 connect-execute-disconnect calls for each page for each visitor]. I tried setting the "connection-pooling" or "connection-reuse" feature in the modplsql gateway settings but this suddenly caused the number of database sessions to go up from 40-60 to 200 in a matter of minutes. Apparently, there's a few bugs logged and a couple of notes advising not to use this feature, particularly if you have Intermedia Indexing enabled -- which we have. So I had to set the connection-reuse back to No.
  3. StatsPack indicates high waits on log-file-sync. OK, the LGWR may be slow writing to redo logs --- but this is a Portal, why are we having a large number of writes/transactions/commits in the first place ?

Hemant K Chitale
My web site page is : http://hkchital.tripod.com

Author: Hemant K Chitale
  INET: hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Oct 09 2002 - 10:00:22 CDT